Building, Philosphy

To the Studio

Calle 57 #572A FacadeLea and I have purchased a very small house (lot is 4m X 20m) one block from our current house in Merida. The house will be a garage and my painting studio. We will begin construction within a few weeks. The interior will be kept simple, plain and matter-of-fact. This will be my permanent home for oil painting. It will not have sleeping quarters other than keeping the hooks for a hammock when I need a rest. I am very happy with this purchase and look forward to having a room of my own. Ever since I read Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own in 1971, I have longed for a place that I can retreat to and create. While I do have a very nice studio at our house, it is difficult to leave my “mess” laying around. That room will become my photography and drawing studio. It also must be kept presentable since it is within the house boundaries. The new studio will evolve to suit my work. By the time we return from France this fall, I will be able to dive into painting and, most importantly, leave the space to serve the work not the other way around.

About Jeffrey Scherer

artist.father.grandfather.leftist.walker.retired architect

Discussion

9 thoughts on “To the Studio

1. Congratulations. What an exciting project…

Posted by Marc | June 16, 2015, 10:16
  2. Hi Jeff,
    this is exciting!
    it looks like a 2 story house, it will be nice to see the transformation.
    seems to me that this house belongs to the 40’s or 50′ style in la Colonia Santiago
    a new journey just begun!

Posted by Roberto Alfaro | June 16, 2015, 10:39
  3. Congratulations !! it is a sweet house , so close to your house ! will it be open to the public ! ( I really mean next january ) during my next visit for Merida fest !

Posted by Claude | June 16, 2015, 12:03
  4. Jeff, I’m a classmate of Lea’s from high school and I do not have her new address and email. I manage the reunions and class database. Would you be so kind as to ask Lea to email me with her contact info?
    Thanks
    Jon Downs Albinson
    jon@albinson.us

Posted by Jon Albinson | June 16, 2015, 17:03
  5. great idea would love to do the same!

Posted by William Harris | June 16, 2015, 17:22
  6. Jeff, congratulations on the purchase and looking forward to seeing the transformation.

Posted by rickmurphy2009 | June 16, 2015, 17:44
    • thanks Rick. Demo will start in about 2 weeks. Hope Mexico City is great. Weather here is fine…but very windy. all the best

Posted by Jeffrey Scherer | June 16, 2015, 18:29
  7. We, too, are looking for rooms of our own so you are an inspiration!

Posted by Alison Wattie | July 11, 2015, 22:51